Monday 29 May 2017

Game Engine 29/05/17 - Part 2

Here goes the part 2 of my Game Engine showcase.

More systems and functionalities I have in my engine:
  • Framework: Basically this is the engine core, everything depends on this chunk of code to work, here we have things I already wrote about such as the FileSystem.
    • Locator: Maintains pointers to services, for example, the moment I startup the Graphics system, it provides itself to the Locator and the Locator stores a pointer to the system. Now when I call Locator::GetService<Graphics>(), I get the Graphics system in return.
    • Service: Used by Locator as described above.
  • Physics:
    • Physics: Manages Rigidbody's  and updates them.
    • Rigidbody -> Component: Applies basic physics to GameObject, for now its only used to apply forces to a GameObject, such as gravity and drag. I didn't add collisions because i wont need it for the game I'm making.
  • Collisions:
    • Collisions: Manages Collider's and updates them.
    • Collider -> Component: Tests collisions between other colliders, if there is a collision, notifies other components of the GameObject of it.
    • Derivatives of Collider: Tests for multiple shapes of collisions (BoxCollider).
Here is what I'm already able to do:



As you can see I can now load models (with skeletons, meshes, materials, textures and animations) and render them unto screen. In this case I'm not loading an animation, this animation is done on the fly.

It took me a week to only get skeletons up and running because there is little documentation on the internet about it.  What really helped me the most was this website I found after some digging. I had already done some stuff with skeletal animation a year ago and I had the same problems.

I'm planning to add deferred rendering which I will talk about in the next post.

If you have any questions or suggestions post them in the comments or contact me through email: riscado.antunes@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment